Friday, July 07, 2006

The Long Awaited Trip

This coming Tuesday, July 11, Naomi and I are embarking upon the trip she has been waiting for and working towards for a long time. We adopted Naomi in September of 2003 and she has not seen her biological sisters since then. Leaving them was most likely the hardest thing she had ever done in her life, but she had no choice in the matter. The family that disrupted the adoption of the three of them would not allow us to adopt Abby and Maddie, nor would they allow the other family to adopt Naomi. They insisted that these sisters be separated, for reasons not clear to us.

Ever since the day they were separated, one of Naomi's greatest desires was to see Abby and Maddie again. Last summer she asked us if there was anyway she could work to earn the money for a trip to Vancouver Island, BC, where they live. I don't remember if she came up with the idea of raking leaves or if we did, but she soon had signs written up and posted all around our neighborhood.

Calls started coming in for her on a daily basis - sometimes more than one a day. Raking and bagging leaves was a hard job, but she proved herself to be a good strong worker and in no time she had built up an excellent reputation among our neighbors. Folks who had never even heard of the Edwards family knew of Naomi. She had calls coming in for other odd jobs, too, which she often did in addition to her raking.

Many weeks Naomi worked six days a week, often raking more than one yard a day. I sometimes had to go and find her as the sun went down so that she would not walk home in the dark. She wanted to get every last minute of work done that she could. She hired her brothers and sisters to help her, paying them part of what she earned. Some yards yielded 75-100 bags of leaves and no one had a word of complaint for the work she and her siblings did. On the contrary, they often called her back to rake more later, as the leaves continued to fall. These raking jobs lasted into the middle of winter, finally coming to a halt in January.

We gave Naomi a certain goal to work towards, since she would be paying for two airline tickets (we would not allow her to travel alone). Even with paying her workers and buying supplies, she eventually reached and exceeded the amount we suggested she save for the trip.

Tickets have been purchased and Naomi and I will be leaving soon for the long awaited trip to see her biological sisters. I only hope the neighbors can do without her for a week.

We would greatly appreciate prayers for this trip. We will fly into Seattle and then our good friends there will drive us to the ferry depot where we will catch a ferry to Vancouver Island. The week will be gone in a flash and the hard earned money well spent.

God has brought this young girl so far - from a rural village in Vietnam to a highly respected hard working young woman in Huntsville, AL. To Him be all the glory!!

12 comments:

ramona said...

Sorry this photo came out so blurry. I am hoping my computer hero (my hubby) can clean up my mess a bit.

4given said...

Weeping and leaping (sort of... well, in my "dreams") for joy. Wish I could hug her.

How exciting. Heeps of fervent prayers for you both!!!

Anonymous said...

Many people are praying for a safe trip for both. A person in our church who wanted to remain anonymous felt that God wanted her to give Naomi her jar full of changing that she had been saving. Naomi bought 3 bibles with some of the money-one for each of her sisters and 1 in case some of the other children needed a bible. Don't you just love to see the way God's Grace is multiplyed like Jesus did the loves and fish?

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typos, although I sort of like the loves and fishes.

ramona said...

And thanks to my dear hubby for cleaning up my mess!

I kind of like the idea of loves and fishes, too. After all, God does increase our capacity to love according to who He brings into our lives.

Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing this story. Many blessings to Naomi. I'm praying for you both a great trip.

Anonymous said...

It's great to reas about this. I hope you have a great time with your daughter and that her time with her sisters is truly blessed.

ramona said...

Thanks so much to everyone. We have had so many opportunities to share the Truth with Naomi and our other children as we deal with the pain of disrupted adoptions. Although what her former parents did was sinful, we show them how God used it for good, in bringing them to a place where they could learn about Him.

I am sure this trip holds some pain for Naomi, as she returns to the city she first lived in after leaving Vietnam. I pray that God will use these upcoming experiences to draw her closer to Him.

On a practical note, we are busily preparing for the trip. The most challenging aspect of this is making up a list of chores that is to be reassigned while we are gone (two of our girls will be staying with our pastor's wife while he is out of town, too). Traveling is much more challenging than it used to be with just Bob and I and maybe a couple of kids!

I will try to post updates on this blog while I am gone.

Jonathan Moorhead said...

What a wonderful opportunity. Praying.

ramona said...

Thanks, Jonathon. I hope we get a chance to meet you next time you are in town.

Anonymous said...

You guys sure are special parents. The more I read about you and your family, the more amzes I am in your love for your family. I pray the trip will be filled with joy and that the jounet there and back is a safe one. God sure has blessed you and you sure have blessed Him

Cristina

Anonymous said...

PS
please excuse my typing. my eyesite isnt what it use to be and my typing is horrid.

Cristina