Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Space Aliens

Many teenagers probably think at some time in their life that their parents are from another planet. When your family consists of eleven kids of various races and nationalities they do start to notice that your family is a little different than the ones around them. This adds to the impression that maybe mom and dad really are aliens from outer space.

At times this makes it hard for them to believe that some of the things you say are true, particularly when it comes to the things of the Bible. Obviously, most people around do not live this way, so it must just be these weirdos who have kidnapped them and brought them to their home.

Over the last couple of weeks our pastor went on mission trip to Russia. His wife asked if our girls could come over and spend some time and help with their two small boys while he was gone. So we rotated them through in two girl shifts and they all got to spend some time with her.

This had a unexpected side benefit for us. They got to spend some time with someone who seems pretty normal. In the process she reinforced through her life and her words the things we teach every day. They may still think we are from another planet, but at least it is a few light years closer than they originally thought.

I love how God uses others to bless us when we are only seeking to help them.

5 comments:

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Bob, I found you via Paul's blog. Good to see you in the blogosphere and I love your blog name, Nihilo!

Bob Edwards said...

Jonathan,

Thanks. I am so excited, I have moved up from being nothing to being lame. A big step in the blogosphere. Now if I can just get blog-spotted by Phil Johnson, I will be in the big time.

Bob Edwards said...

No I am not THAT Bob Edwards. But yes I do have eleven kids. Or do they have me? I don't know. Well at least nine of them are teenagers so they are pretty easy to take care of.

Bob Edwards said...

ed,

Hey brother brother! I guess you got here from mom's web site.

Bob Edwards said...

Arrrgh, how will I ever get blog-spotted.