Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Physician's Visits

The last post my husband made stated that we would be gone for a while, on medical trips. We are home from both of those now, with mixed results. The basic conclusion that all four doctors came to was that I do not have what they doctors here thought I had (Opsoclonus Myoclonus). That is good news, since this is a very rare and difficult to treat neurological illness, but yet it puts up back in "limbo land". A number of comments were made regarding this illness being "psychogenic", some more veiled than others. Even though we assured the doctors that I have been seen by certified counselors who firmly believe my illness is not caused by stress factor, they insisted that my next move should be to see a psychiatrist. Ha! Can you imagine me, a mother of 11 (twelve for now, actually) who has her mother in law living in the same home and has moved with the last year, NOT being diagnosed with SOMETHING?!! I MUST be crazy, right? You see, they just don't understand. Their answers to most things seem to come in small, amber colored bottles.

The doctor in Philadelphia was indeed very knowledgeable and is doing more blood work related to a study which is being done there. When they get those results, he will call me with further recommendations.

Now I will share the most exciting news with you! Yesterday morning I woke up with my symptoms almost practically GONE! Just like that! After a year of waking up jerking, this was so odd. My eyes stayed where I wanted them to, also! No drugs or therapies or doctors can take the credit for this improvement. It is fully and completely a work of the Lord. To Him be the glory! My "stress" level has certainly not decreased over the last couple of weeks, so I don't see how they could attribute it to that, either. I even drove today - something I had previously taken for granted, but have grown to appreciate more and more over the last few weeks, being unable to do it in my own.

Will this change be permanent? I don't know. That, like my illness, is in God's hands. He is the Great Physician, indeed. I will be thankful for ever single moment that I am not a "jerk" and if God chooses to bring my illness back in full force, I will continue to praise Him for the the break I had from it. I will even thank Him for the illness, as it provides so many opportunities to reach folks whom I would otherwise not come in contact with.

No comments: