Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dad Answers

An anonymous commenter who signs as WC asked several questions in my Go Ask Dad post. I thought I would answer them here, since not everyone reads the comments.


WC asks:
Financial questions:

How much is your weekly grocery bill?

Our weekly grocery bills run about $25 per person per week this includes food and other grocery store stuff. Obviously we buy a lot of things in bulk. We have three freezers that we use to buy food at low cost and keep until we need it. Likewise, we have an area set aside that we call our store where we stock bulk items. We then can go to some place like Sam's Club and buy things in cases and multipacks and leave them in the "store" until we are ready. My wife and my mom (who lives with us) are very good about coming up with cheap receipes.

Are you independently wealthy?


Well my Father does own the cattle that graze on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10). As far as independently wealthy, no I have a day job. I am senior level programmer for a defense contractor.

As far as wealthy though, that depends on your definition. By American standards we would be considered middle class. However, I think by Biblical standards and the standards of most people in the world we would be considered wealthy. We can afford food, shelter and clothing and still have something leftover at the end of the day to do with as we choose.

For us to spend that excess on ourselves and not to help others, brings shame on our Lord. For what kind of God is He whose people do not care about those that He cares about, that is the widows and orphans of the world.

How big is your home?


Our house is about 4000 sq ft and has six bedrooms, one of which my mother stays in. We have been blessed to live in an inexspensive part of the country.


Do you worry about money/providing?


Seldom. God provides for us constantly. Everytime I try to get worried about the finances, He reminds me through His providence that He is there and will provide.

Do you have good health insurance?


Yes, we have been blessed with good health insurance.

Finally, to kind of sum up the financial issues, let me add some principles that I consider key.

1) It is not my money, it is God's money to be used by me in my service to Him.

2) If my priorities are God's priorities, I spend a lot less and accomplish a lot more. We do not need all the things the culture says we do, and once we realize that, we have a lot more money available to do His work.

3) If we seek after His righteouness, He will add all that we need.

4) If He wants you to do something, He will provide.

I hope that answers WC questions.

1 comment:

ramona said...

As the chief shopper and menu planner, I will add a couple of things. Bob's mom does help in the area of groceries and monthly bills, since she was previously living on her own, in an apartment. We have also been blessed with monetary gifts, which we have used to stock up on food and supplies.

We also spend very little on clothing. Lots of clothes are given to us and we shop at thrift stores and Wal Mart. I have given the girls a clothing budget of only $10 a month, since that is about what I was spending on them.

I have to admit, it is the shoes that get us. They can rarely be purchased second hand and every one seems to need them all at the same time!

It does help that we have few monthly obligations, too. One vehicle is paid for, a second only has a few months left on the loan, and a third was a gift from a friend at church.

These questions are fun - keep them coming!

Blessings
Ramona (sheshe)