Thursday, January 12, 2006

Infirmities

"And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in my infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." II Corinthians 12:7-10

I have to admit that it is a continual struggle for me to take pleasure in my own personal infirmities, but at the suggestion of an elder in our church, I have begun to keep a log of items that I can "boast of in my infirmities." I would like to share some of these with you, praying that you will see the Light shining through these current trials.

1) There have been previously unspoken declarations of love from some of our adopted children.
2) Numerous folks from church and otherwise are blessing us in various ways, with prayers and filling physical needs.
3)We have had the opportunity to train the kids to be a bit more self reliant in life skills.
4) I find myself relying more on the Lord for strength each day.
5) I am more accepting of the fact that I cannot do all that **I** want to do.
6) One child in particular has said that she has learned to "cherish" me more.
7) One other child has seemed more compassionate lately.
8) I am working on praying through decisions more than before.
9) God has helped me avoid the ever present temptations of sodas and chocolate (both of which make my condition markedly worse).
10)I have had opportunities to talk with some friends about God's Providence in good times and bad.


Those are just a few examples of some of the many ways God is working through my illness. I remain far from perfect, and my faith falters on a regular basis, but I always return to my Rock and Redeemer for strength and renewal.

Recently, a new symptom has given the doctors a possible clue to what is actually going on, and they plan on admitting me to the hospital for extensive testing once a bed becomes available. Please join me in praying that I will be able to glorify God throughout this time and that the tests will bring accurate results.

In the meantime, I will continue to add to my log as God shows me ways I can "boast in my infirmities."

Blessings to you all,
Ramona (sheshe)

No comments: